Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wax Museum

The 2nd graders at Evie's school had a wax museum. Every child was to pick someone famous past or present. They were to dress up like the person they picked and make a poster with pictures and facts. The parents got to go around and push red buttons and the student would come alive and tell who they were and give facts about that person. So when Evie first told me about the project this is how the conversation went.
Me: "That sounds fun. Who are you thinking you want to be?"
Evie: "Lady Gaga?"
Me: "Ummmm... no pick someone else."
Evie: "Britney Spears?"
Me: "Nope someone else."
Evie: "Taylor Swift?"
Me: "Evie are you understanding the meaning of this project? I don't think you are suppose to be a pop-star."
Evie: "Yeah... Mom there are lots of girls being pop-stars."
She was right... there were lots of pop stars and we could have done that and been fine but I wanted her to pick some one who has made a difference or someone who is inspirational. We talked about a few people and Evie finally picked.

Bethany Hamilton!!! I took the girls to see Soul Surfer (the movie about Bethany) and they loved it. If you haven't seen it... you should.
Here is Evie at my mom's after school. I went to the wax museum at 9:30 am and the kids were done and in class. It was from 8:45 to 9:30... I missed the whole thing. I wont ever tell who gave me the wrong information. I am proud of Evie for doing something different. As I walked to Evie's class to say hi, I had teachers telling me what a great idea it was and that Evie did so good and it was nice to see something different. YAY... to my smart little girl. And a big YAY to Bethany Hamilton for being such an amazing example to young kids and everyone.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

That was an awesome person to be. I loved that movie, more than Emmy which is weird. I think Evie rocks one arm pretty well!

Christina said...

That is so cool!
I totally feel for you on the missing it thing. I do that more than I would like to admit.

Eva wants to see that movie because this is where she got attacked. Karl saw her getting gas at Costco. Is the movie scary at all?

Tori said...

That was a very good choice of a good role model. Bailee and I also loved that movie. Love this wax museum idea... I may copy it at school next year.