Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Little Girl!

Look at this cute little girl and what a beautiful smile. I have to post this picture because I haven't seen this face too much lately. Lydia is NOT adjusting to 1st grade! I would give anything to see this face when I have to drop her off every morning!
Instead this is the face I get (see picture below)! Today was the worst... her teacher had to pull her off my leg with Lydia screaming and trying to get away... not to mention her teacher has had knee surgery so she is on crutches trying to keep Lydia from running after me.
I do this emotional rollercoaster every day. I start with feeling bad for her that I can't fix her aniexty on school and make it better. Then I move to being mad because there is nothing I can say that will impact her to get moving for school. And last... I walk out of the school tears streaming down my face. I have the hardest time with this... no matter what I say or do I can't help ease her pain and frustration... I completely understand it because I remember having these same feelings. Anyone have any advice!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Emmy went through this when she started 1st grade at McMillan. She would get stomachaches the night before and cry herself to sleep. In the mornings she put on a brave face and didn't fight it, but I could tell she was terrified. We saw the doctor who suggested she eat a Tums before school to help with the stomachache, but really it was more of a placebo that helped Emmy think there wad a magic pill that took her fears away. A loving teacher who freely gave hugs helped, too. What kind of vibe do you get from the teacher?

Adri said...

Kelly- I have only heard bad things about this teacher but from just seeing her the past 2 weeks she is amazing with Lydia. She hugs her all time and she calls me every day to let me know Lydia is going good and is happy. She says that she had a daughter just like this so she knows how hard it is on me and Lydia. So far the teacher couldn't be more patient with Lyd!

smithblog said...

Oh friend, I am so sorry! You know we did this with Raegan, all through kindergarten (yes, the ENTIRE YEAR) and for the first month/month and a half of 1st grade. It will get better. SO Sorry!

Christina said...

I am so sorry! Can't help but wonder about the school. When Samuel was in preschool he would freak out. I tried bribes and presents and it seemed to help. In the end, it turned out the school just wasn't a good fit.

The smallest thing can freak a kid out a make them feel uncomfortable.

When he changed schools he was so happy, he would jump out of the car and run in as soon as we pulled up.

Too bad it is so hard to tell if it is the teacher or the student. Try and get it out of Lydia what it is about school that she doesn't like. I am sure you have tried but sometimes there are things that they have a hard time explaining.