Below will explain clearly why I was not meant to be married in 1955. This is an article given to Melissa for a joke because of her recent engagement. It said it was an article from Housekeeping Monthly May 1955. I did some internet research on this and found that no one can say if this is true or not. But there was some proof that it came from a home economics textbook in 1955 teaching teenage girls how to be good housewives. (Probably scare them into not getting married). Here is the article and I have added my input!
-Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed. (This I do understand and I try to do this but not as often as I should)
-Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. (I am lucky if I put make up on at all and I think the last time I had a ribbon in my hair I was 3)
-Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it. (I think this just sounds gay)
-Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables. (Ummm..... I would like to do this every day but...)
-During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction. (What exactly is immense satisfaction? Is it really worth all of this)
-Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet. (I can't get my kids to be quiet for 2 seconds and I have to have the laundry ready for him to fold)
-Be happy to see him. (I am always happy to see him... this one was easy)
-Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. (Really?!?!)
-Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours. (Why are his topics more important then mine... that is so sexist)
-Don't greet him with complaints and problems. (Okay)
-Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work. (WTF... Him staying out all night long is a minor thing and I can't question that)
-Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. (What about me... I have spent all day cleaning... applying makeup... putting ribbon in my hair... making dinner... doing laundry and he is the one that needs to rest)
-Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice. (OH MY GOSH)
-Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him. (I will question what ever I want to)
-A good wife always knows her place. (I guess according to this I am not a good wife and I don't see me starting to be one any time soon)
I did get a good laugh from this! Sorry to my husband... I had no idea that this is how to be a good wife, guess you will just have to deal with the horrible wife I am! I do love you though!
MHS Homecoming 2015
10 years ago
2 comments:
Oh my hell, I was rolling on the floor laughing at this post and your comments. That is so funny! This must be why my marriage ended in divorce. If only I would have put a ribbon in my hair..who knows, I probably would still be married! Hahahahaha!
Karl and I laughed about this years ago. He sent it to me just because him and his friend wanted to see my reaction. There is a guy one, too. Kind of a spoof. The funny part was that we had a friend that kind of took this serious.
I love your comments, though
Post a Comment